Sunday 5 June 2016

Interview with Jennifer Jaynes

Next up in my series of interviews is Jennifer Jaynes, whose new book Don’t Say a Word was released a few weeks ago.  It is the third in the Stranger series, which started with Never Smile at Strangers.  That first novel was originally self-published, but it caught the eye of Thomas & Mercer, who snapped it up and re-released it in January 2015.


What was your reaction when you found out that a major publisher was interested in your work?
I was ecstatic. 
I’d dreamt about being with Thomas & Mercer for a couple of years. They’re the best home for my books. Unlike many publishers, they really know how to reach the right audience for our work.

What have been the major differences between self-publishing and working with Thomas & Mercer
The marketing. 
I no longer have to do nearly as much marketing. They have a terrific marketing team—and they’ve been very kind to my books.

How many drafts do you write before sending it to your publisher?
Way too many! Seriously. It takes me a long time to get everything just right. 
I don't write in a linear fashion. My brain just doesn't work that way, so I bounce around from the end to the beginning to the middle to some other point. Over and over again.
After the first draft, I have like 5,000 puzzle pieces before me. I have no idea where many of them go and about 500 pieces are still missing. 
So from there, it's all about tearing apart, rebuilding, framing, re-framing, layering. It’s all very time-consuming.
I have novelist friends who write from beginning to end and release a book every 3-4 months because their minds work so efficiently. But that’s not me.

If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
Wow, great question. Maybe “Silence of the Lambs.” 
I thought it was brilliant.

Describe what your ideal writing space looks like.
A cabin in the woods with just a laptop, a refrigerator, stove, small bed. No clutter. The only sounds are a roaring wind during the daytime and insects at night. 
I went to a place like this three times over the last six weeks to write. 
It was perfect.


What's the strangest thing you have ever had to research online for your book?
Hmm. There are too many to just pick one. ;)

How difficult is it to balance your writing with looking after young twins?
Very. But it’s much better now that they are in kindergarten. I’m pretty sure that my life isn’t very balanced right now. It’s a constant struggle. But one I’m incredibly grateful to have. I’m living my dream in so many different aspects.

Have any authors had an influence on your work?
Yes, many. Janet Fitch, Tawni O’Dell, Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Mary Higgins-Clark.

Where can we find out more about your books?
My website: www.ProjectJennifer.com
Amazon Author Page: http://amzn.to/1rX1Ljm 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JenniferJaynesAuthor/ 

3 comments:

My Zimbio
Top Stories